[dpdk-dev] Reg DPDK & PMD

raman geetha gopalakrishnan glowingsun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 14:35:03 CET 2017

Hi All,

I have the following basic question. Hope to get an answer / link where i
can get myself clear.

1. In DPDK PMD is optimized driver for an given NIC to get maximum
performance.
    That being the case why we are talking about DPDK supported NICs.

     A) My assumption is that NIC interface is standardized so that PMD
should actually work with any NIC (barring some NIC specific performance
tweaks)
          is that correct?

     B) if #A is correct , how can i make changes to PMD to support any NIC
?

if i have to put the above question in different way then it is

2. what is preventing us from having a common PMD layer for all NICs and
additional PMD specific to each NIC???

Thanks
Raman