[dpdk-dev] virtio "how to restart applications" - //dpdk.org/doc/virtio-net-pmd

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Fri Mar 17 05:35:26 CET 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 07:48:28PM -0700, Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the response Yuanhan. I am using dpdk v16.07. So what you are
> saying is that in 16.07, we dont really need to call rte_eth_dev_close() on
> exit,

It's not about "don't really need", it's more like "it's hard to". Just
think that it may crash at any time.

> because dpdk will ensure that it will do virtio reset before init when it
> comes up right ?

No, It just handles the abnormal case well when guest APP restarts.

> Regarding the vhost commits you mentioned - do we still need those fixes if we
> have the "virtio reset before init" mechanism ?

Yes, we still need them: just think some malicious guest may also forge
data like that.

I'm a bit confused then. Have you actually met any issue (like got stucked)
with DPDK v16.07?

	--yliu