[dpdk-dev] disable i40e vf vlan stripping

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Tue Mar 28 17:29:43 CEST 2017

Hi i40e maintainers,

I have the following configuration:
- host runs with Linux pf i40e driver
- guest runs with DPDK vf i40e driver

I send a vlan packet from the host to the guest.
On the guest, I start testpmd with --disable-hw-vlan-strip.

When I receive the packet on the guest, it has the PKT_RX_VLAN_STRIPPED
flag although I'm not asking for it. From what I understand, it is not
possible to disable vlan stripping when using a Linux PF driver.

Since the i40evf DPDK driver does not behave like what the application
asks for, I think it should be fixed. What do you think about re-adding
the vlan in software when dev_conf->rxmode.hw_vlan_strip == 0 ?

The other alternative would be to forbid this configuration and return
an error.

Any opinion? Shall I send a patch?

Thanks
Olivier