[dpdk-dev] kernel binding of devices + hotplug

Alejandro Lucero alejandro.lucero at netronome.com
Thu Apr 19 08:04:27 CEST 2018

I do not completely understand the discussion, but I think the disagreement
is due to how some devices interact with DPDK, at least Mellanox ones. I'm
saying that because we have a DPDK app which starts with no device at all
(--no-pci) and it relies on device plugging attach/detach for configuring
and removing ports once devices are bound to VFIO or UIO drivers. Maybe I'm
wrong, but I think because Mellanox cards do not use VFIO or UIO drivers
but some specific bound using verbs inside the PMD, leaving all this
binding to the system does not fit them.

If that is the case, although I agree with leaving the device binding to
the system, I think it would be fair to contemplate a dual approach for
legacy reasons, or to leave time for implementing a pseudo system driver
which Mellanox can use for having same functionality.