[dpdk-dev] RTE-FLOW: PF vs PHY_PORT

Vivek Sharma vivek.sharma at caviumnetworks.com
Wed Aug 22 13:46:52 CEST 2018

Hi Devs,

I am trying to enable RTE-FLOW support on one of our platforms & having hard time in figuring out PF vs PHY_PORT differences and DPDK rationale for introducing these two distinct identities.

Rte-Flow distinguishes between RTE_FLOW_ITEM_TYPE_PF & RTE_FLOW_ITEM_TYPE_PHY_PORT and

                                               RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_PF & RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_PHY_PORT.

I am finding it difficult to justify the presence of both these types, when functionality & implementation wise, these look quite similar. I would really appreciate if you could illustrate the differences between above item & action types by taking some hardware/platform as reference.

Thanks in advance,
Vivek Sharma