[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2, 2/2] eventdev: add crypto adapter API header

Vangati, Narender narender.vangati at intel.com
Tue Feb 20 19:55:09 CET 2018

Jerin,
I see the "ENQ" part of the adapter a little differently. I think there is value to offloading cryptodev_enqueue to an adapter service, even when the h/w natively supports DEQ.
When the same queue pair is being used by the workers to enqueue requests (this could be where the pre crypto stage was ordered scheduled and the cryptodev enqueues need to be ordered), you would need some synchronization. Going thru eventdev to an adapter which enqueues on worker behalf provides that synchronization and ordering.

In that sense, the ENQ-DEQ mode is an application choice and defines its programming model. Based on that, a service would be created that does ENQ. For the DEQ part, perhaps the adapter can tell whether the h/w supports DEQ natively or needs to be done in s/w - that way you can have a single adapter.

Application model for DEQ mode - call cryptodev_enqueue directly. DEQ is h/w or s/w based on capability
Application model for ENQ-DEQ mode - use event_enqueue to offload cryptodev_enqueue to adapter. DEQ is h/w or s/w based on capability

vnr
---