[dpdk-dev] Minutes of technical board meeting 2018-02-14
olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Wed Feb 21 09:29:16 CET 2018
Here are the minutes of the last DPDK technical board meeting held on
Attendees: 6 members among 9 were present, which is less than the quorum
(70% of the Technical Board):
- Ferruh Yigit
- Jerin Jacob
- Konstantin Ananyev
- Olivier Matz
- Stephen Hemminger
- Thomas Monjalon
1) Acknowledge Yuanhan Liu resignation from vhost/virtio maintenance and
replacement by Maxime Coquelin
First the techboard would like to thanks Yuanhan for his great job on
vhost and virtio.
The new virtio tree maintainer Maxime has been approved by the
techboard (quorum reached by mail for this point). We are confident
that Maxime is the right person.
2) Review remaining deprecation notices for 18.02
The only one that remaining was the deprecation notice for kernel
There is no consensus yet about which kernel versions should be
supported. The latest upstream LTS kernel is 3.16, but some
distributions maintain kernels based on older ones.
It has been decided to drop this patch for 18.02, and take the
decision for 18.05. The discussion continues on the mailing list.
3) Contribution guideline for dependent work
As explained in the patch description, the contributions with
dependent work require a special attention. Enforcing the dependent
- reduces maintenance
- keeps the code consistent
- can prevent contribution, because there is too much work
- it not always possible because requiring special knowledge
For large contributions, the techboard shall provide guidelines on a
case by case basis.
To enforce the changes:
- at the beginning of the release cycle, the objectives are highlighted
(ex: all libraries should use the new xxx api instead of yyy). This
can be repeated in RC1 announcement.
- after 2 or 3 releases, the PMDs or libraries that do not follow the
recommendations are disabled.
- 2018-02-28 @ 3pm UTC
- Stephen to chair discussion as per alphabetical order
- Rediscuss 3) with quorum
More information about the dev