[dpdk-dev] Move flow parsing from test-pmd to librte_cmdline

george.dit at gmail.com george.dit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 10:21:41 CET 2018

Dear DPDK developers,

In an attempt to integrate the Flow API into a third party application and
allow the e.g., insertion/deletion of NIC classification rules from that
application, I noticed that flow command parsing as per the most recent
DPDK versions (i.e., 17.08 or 17.11) might benefit from some useful
modifications.

Specifically, librte_cmdline provides libraries for parsing a flow command
into tokens, but then the library for e.g., creating/deleting a flow rule
for a DPDK NIC resides in test-pmd (app/test-pmd/cmdline_flow.c).

My proposal is to move the app/test-pmd/cmdline_flow.c library into
librte_cmdline, thus facilitate flow parsing for third party DPDK
applications.
I have a working prototype for both DPDK 17.08 and 17.11. This prototype
extends librte_cmdline with 2 additional files (cmdline_flow.h and .c) and
removes this functionality from test-pmd.
The benefit is that the functions in cmdline_flow.h can now be re-used by
any DPDK applications, which was not the case before.

Do you think that the DPDK community will benefit from my patch? If so, I
am happy to send you the patch for review and get your feedback to further
improve it.
In case I missed some other way to achieve my goal (without the need to
patch DPDK), please let me know.

Best regards,
--
Georgios Katsikas