[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2 00/23] Dynamic memory allocation for DPDK

Yongseok Koh yskoh at mellanox.com
Tue Jan 23 23:33:05 CET 2018

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 3:14 AM, Anatoly Burakov <anatoly.burakov at intel.com> wrote:
[...]
> Quick outline of all changes done as part of this patchset:
>
> * Malloc heap adjusted to handle holes in address space
> * Single memseg list replaced by multiple expandable memseg lists
> * VA space for hugepages is preallocated in advance

Hi Anatoly,

I haven't looked through your patchset yet but quick question.  As far as I
understand, currently EAL remaps virtual addresses to make VA layout matches PA
layout. I'm not sure my expression is 100% correct.

By your comment above, do you mean VA space for all available physical memory
will always be contiguous?

I have been curious about why VA space is fragmented in DPDK.

Thanks,
Yongseok