[dpdk-dev] [RFC 00/11] Support externally allocated memory in DPDK

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Fri Jul 13 19:10:40 CEST 2018

On 06-Jul-18 2:17 PM, Anatoly Burakov wrote:
> This is a proposal to enable using externally allocated memory
> in DPDK.
>
> In a nutshell, here is what is being done here:
>
> - Index malloc heaps by NUMA node index, rather than NUMA node itself
> - Add identifier string to malloc heap, to uniquely identify it
> - Allow creating named heaps and add/remove memory to/from those heaps
> - Allocate memseg lists at runtime, to keep track of IOVA addresses
>    of externally allocated memory
>    - If IOVA addresses aren't provided, use RTE_BAD_IOVA
> - Allow malloc and memzones to allocate from named heaps
>
> The responsibility to ensure memory is accessible before using it is
> on the shoulders of the user - there is no checking done with regards
> to validity of the memory (nor could there be...).
>
> The following limitations are present:
>
> - No multiprocess support
> - No thread safety
>
> There is currently no way to allocate memory during initialization
> stage, so even if multiprocess support is added, it is not guaranteed
> to work because of underlying issues with mapping fbarrays in
> secondary processes. This is not an issue in single process scenario,
> but it may be an issue in a multiprocess scenario in case where
> primary doesn't intend to share the externally allocated memory, yet
> adding such memory could fail because some other process failed to
> attach to this shared memory when it wasn't needed.
>
> Anatoly Burakov (11):
>    mem: allow memseg lists to be marked as external
>    eal: add function to rerieve socket index by socket ID
>    malloc: index heaps using heap ID rather than NUMA node
>    malloc: add name to malloc heaps
>    malloc: enable retrieving statistics from named heaps
>    malloc: enable allocating from named heaps
>    malloc: enable creating new malloc heaps
>    malloc: allow adding memory to named heaps
>    malloc: allow removing memory from named heaps
>    malloc: allow destroying heaps
>    memzone: enable reserving memory from named heaps
>
>   config/common_base                            |   1 +
>   lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_lcore.c      |  15 +
>   lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_memory.c     |  51 +++-
>   lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_memzone.c    | 283 ++++++++++++++----
>   .../common/include/rte_eal_memconfig.h        |   5 +-
>   lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_lcore.h     |  19 +-
>   lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_malloc.h    | 158 +++++++++-
>   .../common/include/rte_malloc_heap.h          |   2 +
>   lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_memzone.h   | 183 +++++++++++
>   lib/librte_eal/common/malloc_heap.c           | 277 +++++++++++++++--
>   lib/librte_eal/common/malloc_heap.h           |  26 ++
>   lib/librte_eal/common/rte_malloc.c            | 197 +++++++++++-
>   lib/librte_eal/rte_eal_version.map            |  10 +
>   13 files changed, 1118 insertions(+), 109 deletions(-)

So, now that the RFC is out, i would like to ask a general question.

One other thing that this patchset is missing, is the ability for data
structures (e.g. hash, mempool, etc.) to be allocated from external
heaps. Currently, we can kinda sorta do that with various _init() API's
(initializing a data structure over already allocated memzone), but this
is not ideal and is a hassle for anyone using external memory in DPDK.

There are basically four ways to approach this problem (that i can see).

First way is to change "socket ID" to mean "heap ID" everywhere. This
has an upside of having a consistent API to allocate from internal and
external heaps, with little to no API additions, only internal changes
to account for the fact that "socket ID" is now "heap ID".

However, there is a massive downside to this approach: it is a *giant*
API change, and it's also a giant *ABI-compatible* API change. Meaning,
replacing socket ID with heap ID will not cause compile failures for old
code, which would result in many subtle bugs in already existing
codebases. So, while in the perfect world this would've been my
preferred approach, realistically i think this is a very, very bad idea.

Second one is to add a separate "heap name" API's to everything. This
has an upside of clean separation between allocation from internal and
external heaps. (well, whether it's an upside is debatable...) This is
the approach i expected to take when i was creating this patchset.

The downside is that we have to add new API's to every library and every
DPDK data structure, to allow explicit allocation from external heaps.
We will have to maintain both, and things like hardware drivers will
need to have a way to indicate the need to allocate things from a
particular external heap.

The third way is to expose the "heap ID" externally, and allow a single,
unified API to reserve memory. That is, create an API that would map
either a NUMA node ID or a heap name to an ID, and allow reserving
memory through that ID regardless of whether it's internal or external
memory. This would also allow to gradually phase out socket-based ID's
in favor of heap ID API, should we choose to do so.

The downside for this is, it adds a layer of indirection between socket
ID and reserving memory on a particular NUMA node, and it makes it hard
to produce a single value of "heap ID" in such a way as to replicate
current functionality of allocating with SOCKET_ID_ANY. Most likely user
will have to explicitly try to allocate on all sockets, unless we keep
old API's around in parallel.

Finally, a fourth way would be to abuse the socket ID to also mean
something else, which is an approach i've seen numerous times already,
and one that i don't like. We could register new heaps as a new, fake
socket ID, and use that to address external heaps (each heap would get
its own socket). So, keep current socket ID behavior, but for
non-existent sockets it would be possible to be registered as a fake
socket pointing to an external heap.

The upside for this approach would be that no API changes are required
whatsoever to existing libraries - this scheme is compatible with both
internal and external heaps without adding a separate API.

The downside is bad semantics - "special" sockets, handling of
SOCKET_ID_ANY, handling of "invalid socket" vs. "invalid socket that
happens to correspond to an existing external heap", and many other
things that can be confusing. I don't like this option, but it's an
option :)

Thoughts? Comments?

I myself still favor the second way, however there are good arguments to
be made for each of these options.

Anatoly