[dpdk-dev] [RFC] ethdev: support tunnel encapsulation action

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Mon Jun 11 13:20:47 CEST 2018

11/06/2018 13:03, Ori Kam:
> Due to the very short release cycle for this
> 18.08 release, and the need for good discussions,
> It is more reasonable to target 18.11 for this proposal.

I agree the timeframe is too short in 18.08 to accept such
a new generic API.

> The intent is to have a good generic API for all tunnel encapsulation
> and working well with all HW constraints.
>
> So please let's start the multi-vendor discussion now.

Adding more people as Cc to let the discussion starting.

> For your information I have submitted a patch for MPLS only (as v2)
> to be integrated in 18.08 in the meantime.

Yes it is more reasonnable to extend the API introduced in 18.05,
by adding MPLS in 18.08.
This API requires to declare every tunnel protocols we want to offload.
If a more generic API can be found, it could replace the "18.05 one" later.