[dpdk-dev] Changing rte_eth_dev_count() to rte_eth_dev_count_avail()

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue May 22 23:09:26 CEST 2018

After having to change the spp (software patch panel) to get it to compile. I had one problem with the new memory code, but was easy to fix and I had to add the define to enable the experimental code to the Makefile.

The only other change was having to change all of the rte_eth_dev_count() to rte_eth_dev_count_avail(), why did we not add a define or simple inline function to call rte_eth_dev_count_avail() instead of removing the API? I had the same problem with rte_eth_dev_count() in pktgen.

Would it not have been better to add the define of inline function to reduce the amount of changes customers need to do?

Maybe I missed the discussion, sorry if did.

Regards,
Keith