[dpdk-dev] Fwd: Disable receiving new flows on a core

Chintan Inbay chintaninbay at outlook.com
Mon Nov 5 20:06:10 CET 2018

Thank you for your response. My guess was that to implement this feature in hardware isn't straightforward and would require support for:

 - allocating additional memory and keeping track of flow hashes per core
 - parsing TCP packets for SYN flag
 - If flow hash matches for a core, send it to a core only if it is non-SYN
 - Send the SYN packet with a hash that matches the disabled core to a new core.

Which probably needs a lot of work. It would be a great feature for roadmap if Intel decides to provide it. However I don't know how difficult it would be and if dpdk framework can eventually support it.

I foresee it as very useful feature for micro-upgrades or per-core software upgrades. When upgrading software on a core-by-core basis without losing connection state. Enabling this feature would let a core drain the flows, then perform a restart with new software.

-Chintan