[dpdk-dev] Where is the padding code in DPDK?

Morten Brørup mb at smartsharesystems.com
Wed Nov 14 11:51:36 CET 2018

Anatoly,

This differs from the Linux kernel's behavior, where padding belongs in the NIC driver layer, not in the protocol layer. If you pass a runt frame (too short packet) to a Linux NIC driver's transmission function, the NIC driver (or NIC hardware) will pad the frame to make it valid. E.g. look at the rhine_start_tx() function in the kernel: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.9.137/source/drivers/net/ethernet/via/via-rhine.c#L1800

If DPDK does not pad short frames passed to the egress function of the NIC drivers, it should be noted in the documentation - this is not the expected behavior by protocol developers.

Or even better: The NIC hardware (or driver) should ensure padding, possibly considering it a TX Offload feature. Generating packets shorter than 60 bytes data is common - just consider the amount of TCP ACK packets, which are typically only 14 + 20 + 20 = 54 bytes (incl. the 14 byte Ethernet header).

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards
- Morten Brørup