[dpdk-dev] Question about telemetry on 18.11 release

Hideyuki Yamashita yamashita.hideyuki at po.ntt-tx.co.jp
Wed Nov 28 12:54:10 CET 2018

Hello Rami,

Thanks for your response.
Please see inline.

> Hi, Hideyuki,
>
> >Rami, thanks for your advice.
> >If I understand you correctly, then
> >there already exist APIs to collect statistic
> >information inside dpdk including CPU usage.
>
> Yup. I want to also note that the librte jobstats is very veteran, it
> exists in DPDK versions prior to 16.04 (like in 2.2.0; see:
> https://github.com/DPDK/dpdk/tree/v2.2.0/lib/librte_jobstats )
> The telemetry library is relatively new.
>
> Following are my answers to your new queries (Q5-Q7):
>
> >Q5.Are there any API document for jobstats?
> AFAIK, there is no API document apart from what I already sent (namely
> the sample guide and
> the API link, https://doc.dpdk.org/api/rte__jobstats_8h_source.html)
[Hideyuki]
Are there any reason why accompanied document does NOT exit?
(if you know the reason why)

> >Q6. Is it possible to use those (jobstats and telemetry) together?
> It could be, never tried it though.
>
> >Q7.Are there any samples implementing above?
>
> Assuming you mean implementing both APIs together: No, AFAIK. It will
> be great if someone will write documentation and implement such a
> thing, if it is doable.
[Hideyuki]
Is it possible to contribute such a sample application by my side?
(Just idea, I need permission from my boss though..)

In that case, is it correct that what I should do is
create/verify my contribution and post patches to dev list?
Or are there any steps(procedures) to add such new sample?

Q8.
BTW, when I read jobstats sample, I felt that
application programmers should be fully aware of the jobstats
from the first place of software design (many timers in main function)
and it is NOT "opt-in" "opt-out" feature.

When considering many NFV applications are already
there, I think it is more preferable that such statistics features
can be "opt-in" or "opt-out".
Is it possible to realize above using current DPDK framework?

Thanks again.

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross