[dpdk-dev] A couple question before starting to work on a Silicom NIC-Bypass driver implementation

Jean-Christophe BEGUE jean-christophe.begue at fraudbuster.mobi
Fri Sep 7 18:06:09 CEST 2018

Hello everyone,

Here at FraudBuster we really need a NIC-Bypass feature to be
integrated in our products.

We've been able to use the Silicom boards we can find here:
https://bit.ly/2NrIK7z .
Unfortunately the only driver Silicom seems to support is written for
kernel-space bound interfaces: you need your interface to have an
`interface index`  assigned in the kernel, which I beleive is not a
common thing in the DPDK bound way of accessing hardware.

We were able to get a functional driver from Silicom's module with a
quick and dirty hack. But we would be very interested in writing a
DPDK-integrated driver has the one implemented in
`drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_bypass.c`. It seems to share similarities in
hardware implementation, in particular the I2C bit-banging control via
ESDP.

We would like to start with the PE210G2BPI9, a Dual Port Fiber 10G,
82599ES Based.

But first, as I am totally new to the DPDK world, I have a couple of
question:

How would the community welcome this feature ? Would it be useful for
some DPDK users ?

Would some people agree to mentor my work, review and give me advice.
Helping me to integrate well into the project architecture and reach
the required code quality required to be merged ?

Thank you!