[dpdk-dev] How to replace rte_eth_dev_attach with rte_eal_hotplug_add

Hideyuki Yamashita yamashita.hideyuki at po.ntt-tx.co.jp
Thu Sep 20 10:46:37 CEST 2018

Hello,

From dpdk 18.08 release rte_eth_dev_attach and
rte_eth_dev_detach becom deprecated API and
it is recommended to replace with rte_eal_hotplug_add
and rte_eal_hotplug_remove.

My program uses  above mentioned deprecated APIs
and have to replace those.
Note that my program uses attach to attach vhost, pcap pmd.

My question is whether it is correct to replace those as following:
find rte_eth_dev_attach function in rte_ethdev.c and
migrate those content into my program.

e.g.
lib/librte_ethdev/rte_ethdev.c line 643-686 for attach
lib/librte_ethdev/rte_ethdev.c line 690-720 for detach

Your advice/guidance are much appreciated.
Thanks!

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita