[dpdk-dev] ipv4-frag support for DPDK?

Sungho Hong maverickjin88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 22:46:12 CEST 2018

Hello DPDK dev,

I was struggling with the packet fragmentation,
since the dpdk application(l3fwd, ip-fragmentation, ip-assemble)  did not
recognized the received packet as the  ipv4 header.

At first, I have crafted my own packets when sending ipv4 headers so I
assumed that I was crafting the packets in a wrong way.

So I have used DPDK-pktgen but dpdk-application (l3fwd, ip-fragmentation,
ip-assemble) did not recognized the ipv4 header.
As the last resort, I have tested the dpdk-testpmd, and found out this in
the status info.

--------------------
********************* Infos for port 1  *********************
MAC address: E4:1D:2D:D9:CB:81
Driver name: net_mlx4
Connect to socket: 1
memory allocation on the socket: 1
Link status: up
Link speed: 10000 Mbps
Link duplex: full-duplex
MTU: 1500
Promiscuous mode: enabled
Allmulticast mode: disabled
Maximum number of MAC addresses: 127
Maximum number of MAC addresses of hash filtering: 0
VLAN offload:
  strip on
  filter on
  qinq(extend) off
No flow type is supported.
Max possible RX queues: 65408
Max possible number of RXDs per queue: 65535
Min possible number of RXDs per queue: 0
RXDs number alignment: 1
Max possible TX queues: 65408
Max possible number of TXDs per queue: 65535
Min possible number of TXDs per queue: 0
TXDs number alignment: 1
testpmd> show port
--------------------

I have also tried out the Intel NIC driver that I have.

--------------------
********************* Infos for port 1  *********************
MAC address: 00:1B:21:A6:D4:D6
Driver name: net_e1000_igb
Connect to socket: 0
memory allocation on the socket: 0
Link status: up
Link speed: 100 Mbps
Link duplex: full-duplex
MTU: 1500
Promiscuous mode: enabled
Allmulticast mode: disabled
Maximum number of MAC addresses: 24
Maximum number of MAC addresses of hash filtering: 0
VLAN offload:
  strip on
  filter on
  qinq(extend) off
Hash key size in bytes: 40
Redirection table size: 128
Supported flow types:
  ipv4
  ipv4-tcp
  ipv4-udp
  ipv6
  ipv6-tcp
  ipv6-udp
  unknown
  unknown
  unknown
Max possible RX queues: 8
Max possible number of RXDs per queue: 4096
Min possible number of RXDs per queue: 32
RXDs number alignment: 8
Max possible TX queues: 8
Max possible number of TXDs per queue: 4096
Min possible number of TXDs per queue: 32
TXDs number alignment: 8
--------------------

According to DPDK documentation.
in the flow type of the info status of port 1 should show, but mine shows
that no flow type is supported.

--------------------
Supported flow types:
  ipv4-frag