[dpdk-dev] ***Spam*** [RFC 0/4] mempool: avoid objects allocations across pages

Andrew Rybchenko arybchenko at solarflare.com
Wed Aug 7 17:21:01 CEST 2019

On 7/19/19 4:38 PM, Olivier Matz wrote:
> When IOVA mode is VA, a mempool can be created with objects that
> are not physically contiguous, which breaks KNI.
>
> To solve this, this patchset changes the default behavior of mempool
> populate function, to prevent objects from being located across pages.

I'll provide top level review notes on individual patches, but what
I don't understand in general, why do we add a rule to respect
page boundaries in any case even when it is not absolutely required.
It may add holes. Can it make negative impact on performance?

I think that KNI VA-mode requirements are very specific.
It is VA-mode, but page boundaries should be respected even
if VA is contiguous.