[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/3] ethdev: add ptype as Rx offload

Andrew Rybchenko arybchenko at solarflare.com
Wed Aug 7 17:44:31 CEST 2019

On 8/7/19 6:22 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 11:32:35 +0300
> Andrew Rybchenko <arybchenko at solarflare.com> wrote:

Many thanks, I got it.

> The best solution would be to just keep old applications running and compiling
> without breaking anything. That means ptype should still be received.
>
> If (as an optimization) you want to allow application to turn of getting
> ptype; then that would be a useful. Probably best done at the port level
> as part of configuration.

I see, but it contradicts to the existing practice that offloads should
be disabled by default and a way to enable should be provided.
May be techboard should discuss it and make a decision (covering RSS
hash information and Rx mark mentioned in my review notes).

>>> Not specific to this API change. That's is the propriety any new symbol addition
>>> to the code base.
>>>
>>> Planning to make this API change available fromv19.11 LTS.
>>
>> The only way to to require applications to enable PTYPE offload to get
>> ptypes in mbuf since 19.11 LTS is to have deprecation notice in 19.08.

>>> When OFFLOAD flags got introduced, we decided to disable all offloads by default.
>>> So, need to add positive logic here to enable offload instead of enable something by
>>> Default and disable if required to get have synergy with other offloads.
>>>
>>> Will update the release note as usual to document the change.
>>> Since there is NO ABI change, IMO, we don't need deprecation notice.
>>
>> Sorry, but it is a behaviour change. Before an application does not need
>> to enable ptype offload, but now it is required. It means that application
>> will be broken and, therefore, it requires deprecation notice.
>
> The DPDK development community has to make not breaking applications
> a higher priority than adding marginal enhancements

Fair, but where is marginal enhancements boundary?