[dpdk-dev] WARNING! Base virtual address hint not respected!

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Mon Aug 12 11:31:22 CEST 2019

On 07-Aug-19 11:51 AM, Nilesh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to build an application over DPDK, but we are getting this
> warning when we call
> rte_eal_init().
>
> EAL: Detected 24 lcore(s)
> EAL: Detected 2 NUMA nodes
> EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
> EAL: No available hugepages reported in hugepages-1048576kB
> EAL: Probing VFIO support...
> EAL: WARNING! Base virtual address hint (0x100005000 != 0x7f63aed91000)
> not respected!
> EAL:    This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes
> EAL: WARNING! Base virtual address hint (0x10000b000 != 0x7f63a937f000)
> not respected!
> EAL:    This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes
> EAL: WARNING! Base virtual address hint (0x100a0c000 != 0x7f5fa7800000)
> not respected!
> EAL:    This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes
> EAL: WARNING! Base virtual address hint (0x100c11000 != 0x7f63a931e000)
> not respected!
> EAL:    This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes
>
> rte_eal_init() is returning successfully, but we wanted to know why this
> warning is coming and
> what are the potential issues that may arise due to this warning.
>
> Note: NIC is bound with igb_uio. Hugepages are mapped and there are
> enough free pages.
>
> System specification :
> 2 machines with
> Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
> Release:    18.04
> Codename:    bionic
>
> Kernel: 4.15.0-55-generic
> *DPDK* version: 19.05.0
>
> Hardware:
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz
> NIC 1: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ (i40e)
>
> (If any extra setup configuration information required will be provided)
>
> Thanks,
> Nilesh

Hi,

This is normal. This happens because, by default, shared memory in EAL
is mapped starting at a specific memory offset due to certain issues
with DPDK's multiprocess support. Sometimes these offsets will not be
available, so things will get mapped at other addresses. Because this
event may cause issues with subsequent secondary process mappings, EAL
warns about this on initialization.

If you're not using secondary processes, you may disregard this warning.

--
Thanks,
Anatoly