[dpdk-dev] [RFC] net: new vdpa PMD for Mellanox devices
matan at mellanox.com
Thu Aug 15 12:47:07 CEST 2019
The last Mellanox adapters\SoCs support virtio operations to accelerate the vhost data path.
A new net PMD will be added to implement the vdpa driver requirements on top of Mellanox
devices support it like ConnectX6 and BlueField.
* The mlx5_vdpa PMD run on top of PCI devices VF and PF.
* The Mellanox PCI device can be configured ether to support ethdev device or to support vdpa device.
* An one physical device can contain ethdev VFs\PF driven by the mlx5 PMD and vdpa VFs\PF driven by the new mlx5_vdpa PMD parallelly.
* The decision which driver should be selected to probe Mellanox PCI device should be taken by the user using the PCI device devargs.
* mlx5 and mlx5_vdpa depend in rdma-core lib so some code may be shared between them,
due that a new mlx5 common directory will be added in drivers/commom for code reusing.
* All the guest physical memory of the virtqs will be translated to the host physical memory by the HW.
More information about the dev