[dpdk-dev] Questions about DPDK IOAT driver

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue Aug 20 18:01:38 CEST 2019

> On Aug 20, 2019, at 7:35 AM, chanzk at m.scnu.edu.cn wrote:
>
> Hello DPDK,
>    I am a postgraduate student from South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China.
>    I found that the IOAT driver was released in DPDK 19.08 for the first time. At the same time, I noticed that the code of DPDK IOAT driver was similar to SPDK one. So there are some questions I would like to ask you. The questions are as follows.
>
>    1. What's the difference between SPDK IOAT driver and DPDK IOAT driver ?

The SPDK has it own IOAT driver today, but we are looking to have SPDK use the DPDK IOAT driver in the future, but the SPDK folks can answer that question. The DPDK IOAT driver leveraged some of the code from the SPDK system and this is why they look the same.
>    2. I have an idea that apply DPDK lockless ring (struct rte_ring) to DPDK IOAT ring so that multiple threads can enqueue copy request to the same DPDK IOAT ring at the same time, is that work ?

We have the Ring PMD which I think could be used on top of the IOAT driver, but I would have to think about it more. What would be the design you had in mind here?

> At your convenience, would you please answer my questions?
>
> Thank you !
> Wish you a good day !
>
> Regards,
> Zhenke Chan