[dpdk-dev] [RFC] ethdev: configure SR-IOV VF from host

Iremonger, Bernard bernard.iremonger at intel.com
Thu Aug 29 17:02:11 CEST 2019

Hi Thomas,

Some of the functions in the list above for example, rte_eth_dev_promiscuous_enable() use the dev_ops structure, is it intended to add more rte_eth_dev_* functions to the dev_ops structure?

At present the ixgbe and i40e PMD's have sets of private functions for configuring SRIOV VF's from the DPDK PF,  rte_pmd_ixgbe_*  and rte_pmd_i40e_* functions (see rte_pmd_ixgbe.h and rte_pmd_i40e.h).

At the time these functions were not allowed to be added to the dev_ops structure as there were so many of them.  There was a proposal to add a dev_ctrl function to the dev_ops structure which would access the private functions. Maybe adding the dev_ctrl  function should be considered again.

Having two ways (through dev_ops and private PMD functions) to configure DPDK VF's from the DPDK PF will be confusing for developers.

Regards,

Bernard.