[dpdk-dev] [EXT] Default cacheline size for ARM

Jerin Jacob Kollanukkaran jerinj at marvell.com
Fri Feb 1 18:16:25 CET 2019

On Thu, 2019-01-31 at 18:09 +0000, Honnappa Nagarahalli wrote:
> + Phil and Hemant
>
> <snip>

> > > I thought for cross compilation we have target specific config
> > > files
> > > in config/arm. For ex: arm64_dpaa2_linuxapp_gcc,
> > > arm64_thunderx_linuxapp_gcc
> >
> > Yes. config/arm/arm64_armv8_linuxapp_gcc will be used for cross
> > compile
> > arm64 image, equivalent to config/defconfig_arm64-armv8a-linuxapp-
> > gcc
> > in cross compiling domain for meson.
> >
> Following is my understanding:
> 1) Distro folks build the generic image on arm64 with
> -Dmachine=default for arm64 (
> http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2019-January/123272.html)
> 2) Target specific builds and cross compilation is done using target
> specific configuration files (for ex:
> config/arm/arm64_dpaa2_linuxapp_gcc etc)
>
> Are you saying, we need a cross compile mechanism to generate generic
> arm64 image (that would work across all Arm platforms)?
> Do you have any use cases in mind for this?

# I was thinking, Not everyone has access to arm64 machine so having
one generic cross compile target can function as build sanity check for
arm64 on x86 machines.

# The _buildroot_ kind of tiny embedded rootfs can not have gcc on
target, so this config will be useful for such build enablement as
default option.