[dpdk-dev] Question about DPDK hugepage fd change

Iain Barker iain.barker at oracle.com
Tue Feb 5 22:27:28 CET 2019

> Would poll work here instead?

Poll (or epoll) would definitely work - if we controlled the source and compilation of all the libraries that the application links against.

But an app doesn’t know how the libraries in the OS are implemented. We’d have no way to ensure select() isn’t called by a shared library - the first we would know is when the application randomly failed.

Seems pretty clear that the newer DPDK library is breaking the requirements of GNU libc to use less than 1024 file descriptors. The previous DPDK design was able to mmap the huge pages without requiring thousands of open file descriptors...