[dpdk-dev] Projects depending on make (versus meson)

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Jan 8 11:55:36 CET 2019

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 11:44:03AM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 07/01/2019 19:21, Stephen Hemminger:
> > I recently bumped into NFF-go which probably will have problems with meson build.
> > It puts dpdk and pktgen-dpdk in as git submodules and then builds it all together
> > with Go environment.
>
> You mean they must switch to meson and use DPDK discovery with pkg-config?
> Do you see any blocker?
>
> > The current model is a nuisance because can't get Mellanox drivers for Azure by
> > default.
>
> In the make build system, some libraries (like Mellanox drivers) must be
> explicitly enabled by modifying the .config file before running make.
> There should be a hook in the app build system to allow some tuning.

One thing I've been considering for our meson build system, is possibly
adding in a config option to explicitly request specific drivers to be
built and error out if they cannot be. Right now, it's all based on what is
available - there is no way to tell meson to error out the config if the
dependencies for the Mellanox drivers, or the QAT crypto drivers are
missing.
Thoughts (and patches :-)) welcome.

/Bruce