[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-techboard] A new bus for mediated devices

Liang, Cunming cunming.liang at intel.com
Thu Jan 17 08:31:08 CET 2019

Resend in plain text.

-----Original Message-----
 From: Liang, Cunming
 Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:49 PM
 To: Alejandro Lucero <alejandro.lucero at netronome.com>; dev <dev at dpdk.org>
 Cc: Richardson, Bruce <bruce.richardson at intel.com>; Lu, Xiuchun
 <xiuchun.lu at intel.com>
 Subject: RE: [dpdk-techboard] A new bus for mediated devices

Hi Alejandro,

[LC] Yes, it is. You can find it from the link
https://schd.ws/hosted_files/dpdksummitnorthamerica2018/7b/DPDK_Summit18_MDEV_Fine-Grained-Slicing_Steve_John.pdf

>> There was a few considerations.
>> -          VT-d Spec 3.0 is publish, but no platform available to support even PCIe device
>> might have the ability
>> -          Except Intel, not sure other network IHVs is going to design their device by the
>> new spec.
>> -          w/o available platform, it only supports singleton mdev instance per parent
>> device
>> -          even in singleton mdev support, it requires IOMMU aware mediate device
>> which is WIP in kernel
> >
> Yes, I know this is new stuff and it will not be usable as I have previously commented
> by now, but I think this is going to be really important in the near future. It adds a lot
> of flexibility for creating ad-hoc net devices to be used by VMs.
[LC] Fully agree.

> In our initial case, we just need one mdev per parent device, and the IOMMU
> mapping would be managed by the parent device after the proper ioctl call from
> user space (NFP PMD for mediated device).
[LC] I see, so essentially it’s singleton mdev instance base on IOMMU & SR-IOV
platform. It requires mdev being capable to use parent device’ IOMMU domain,
which does WIP. There’s no extra platform need by this usage, it’s good.

>> For these reason, we hold on the upstream effort on DPDK side.
>>
> I understand. However, I think this should be discussed asap and to figure out which
> is what is needed. When implementing the mdev bus for DPDK myself, I found the
> mdev interface is so flexible (or maybe undefined), it is not clear how it should be
> done.
>
>> I’m actually quite interest in your use case, what’s the benefit you’re looking
>> forward for kernel vfio mdev. If you don’t mind, could you share with us?
>
> We need to use the PF and VFs in user space, this is DPDK, and the VF creation is not
> possible when PF is bound to the VFIO driver (vfio-pci). Mu idea is just to create a
> mediated device for allowing this, with the kernel driver helping with mmaping the
> right BAR areas. After that, the PMD will work almost as current NFP PMD, although
> certain things like link up/down or getting extended stats will be through the kernel
> netdev.
[LC] Yeah, it separates device control and packet I/O, which is the most straight
forward benefit introduced by mdev. It’s definitely a good usage as you mentioned.

>> Our initial minimum goals to DPDK native mdev support,
>> -          scan/probe/… kernel mdev bus sysfs
>> -          keep consistent vfio uapi in DPDK
>> -          reuse/unmodified any existing PMD previous built for pci bus
>>
> This last point seems quite complicated if not impossible, at least in our case.
[LC] That’s for case having exact the same device function but only being different on
the granularity (e.g. number of queue-pairs). It sucks to have a duplicated PMD just
for mdev bus.
It’s not your case, which is good to build from scratch a lightweight PMD and
preserve the device control by kernel.

>> We had patch set base on DPDK 18.05 and haven’t rebased yet to main stream,
>> which includes
>> -          intro new rte_mdev_bus for kernel mdev bus
>> -          intro new rte_mdev_driver for ‘vfio-pci’ mdev type
>> (allows to register other bus driver according to mdev type -- ‘device_api’)
>> -          whitelist & blacklist uuid support
>> -          a pci vfio change to map resource according to general sysfs
>>

> Good. I have almost a mdev bus driver implemented and a specific NFP PMD for a
> NFP mediated device. But I have been working for the shake of probing this as an
> option for our purposes. Of course, my idea was to work on a full mdev support for
> DPDK so that was the reason of my email to the techboard.
[LC] The goal is fully aligned. Mdev is much easier to manage the device lifecycle, is
able to support different bus layout (e.g. pci, platform, ccw) and etc. We’d like DPDK
mdev enabling preserve most of the benefits.

> Knowing you have been working on this longer than me, and likely having a more
> complete implementation, I will not try to duplicate work here, and I hope I can
> contribute to the final implementation once I see your design.
[LC] That’s great. We’ll initialize a RFC, your input from different view would be
really helpful, looking forward to the collaboration.

Thanks!

> Thanks!
>

>> Thanks,
>> Steve

>>> 2176/export/events/attachments/netmdev/slides/2176/net_mdev___fosdem_201
>>> 8.pdf