[dpdk-dev] remove specific modules from meson/ninja build

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Thu Jan 24 10:40:01 CET 2019

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 06:41:01AM +0000, Liron Himi wrote:
>    Hi,
>

>    In our specific platform makefile we have removed several components.
>    Some due to conflicts and some to reduce final package size.
>
>    As you know this can be done by setting to ‘false’ specific
>    ‘CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_<x>’.
>
>    Is there a way to do the same in the meson/ninja process?

No, it's not possible. If we support turning on and off individual
libraries then it vastly increases the number of possible configurations
that need to be validated, and we'd need to have each library check for the
presence of it's own dependencies and behave appropriately if they are
missing. It keeps things far saner if all libraries - bar those with
specific external dependencies - are always built, and so their presence
can be relied upon by other libraries and drivers.

If you want to remove individual components I suggest you remove them at
package building time. Out of interest, are you using shared or static
libraries, and how big of space difference does omitting a few libraries
make?

/Bruce