[dpdk-dev] Multiple cores for DPDK behind SmartNIC

Jonatan Langlet jonatanlanglet at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:49:36 CEST 2020

Hi group,

We are building a setup with DPDK bound to VF ports of a Netronome Agilio
CX 2x40 (NFP4000) SmartNIC.
Netronome does some P4 processing of packets, and forwards through SR-IOV
to host where dpdk will continue processing.

My problem: in DPDK I can not allocate more than a single RX-queue to the
ports.
Multiple dpdk processes can not pull from the same queue, which means that
my dpdk setup only works with a single core.

Binding dpdk to PF ports on a simple Intel 2x10G NIC works without a
problem, multiple RX-queues (and hence multiple cores) work fine.

I bind dpdk to Netronome VF ports with the igb_uio driver.
I have seen vfio-pci mentioned, would using this driver allow multiple
RX-queues? We had some problems using this driver, which is why it has not
yet been tested.

If you need more information, I will be happy providing it

Thanks,
Jonatan