[dpdk-dev] coding style question - c99 comments

Lance Richardson lance.richardson at broadcom.com
Thu Jan 23 17:43:47 CET 2020

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:15 AM Stephen Hemminger
<stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:05:58 -0500
> Lance Richardson <lance.richardson at broadcom.com> wrote:
>
> > The DPDK Coding Style document doesn't mention the use of c99 comments
> > using '//' as a comment delimiter, but it does say that traditional
> > '/*  */' comment
> > delimiters should be used and therefore seems to imply that c99-style comments
> > are not allowed.
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> >    Lance
>
> Don't use c99 comments.
> These will get flagged by checkpatch

Hi Stephen,

Actually, the reason I was asking was they aren't being flagged by checkpatch.

It seems checkpatch.pl now has this:
my $allow_c99_comments = 1; # Can be overridden by --ignore
C99_COMMENT_TOLERANCE

If c99 comments are should not be allowed, it looks like
C99_COMMENT_TOLERANCE should
be added to the list of checkers to ignore in checkpatches.sh. I was
thinking of rolling a patch,
but wanted to first confirm that they are actually not allowed.

Thanks,

   Lance