[dpdk-dev] Big spike in DPDK VSZ

David Marchand david.marchand at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 09:51:18 CET 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:48 AM siddarth rai <siddsr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using DPDK 19.08 and I notice the process VSZ is huge.
>
> I tried running the test PMD. It takes 64G VSZ and if I use the
> '--in-memory' option it takes up to 188G.
>
> Is there anyway to disable allocation of such huge VSZ in DPDK ?

*Disclaimer* I don't know the arcanes of the mem subsystem.

I suppose this is due to the memory allocator in dpdk that reserves
unused virtual space (for memory hotplug + multiprocess).

If this is the case, maybe we could do something to enhance the
situation for applications that won't care about multiprocess.
Like inform dpdk that the application won't use multiprocess and skip
those reservations.

Or another idea would be to limit those reservations to what is passed
via --socket-limit.

Anatoly?

--
David Marchand