[dpdk-dev] Regarding rte_eth_rx_burst

Prashant Upadhyaya praupadhyaya at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:31:43 CEST 2020

The reason for 1 mbuf is application design, the SDK should not drive
the application design.
Eg. in my case the poll loop is in control of another module which
calls a 'get work' function which expects to be returned a single mbuf
and therefore the simple way was to do poll of 1 mbuf and return it if
it is found or return null to get work function.
Of course there are ways around this.
But I would consider it as a bug because nowhere in the documentation
is it prohibited to do polling of 1 mbuf. And it works for other
PMD's. If it doesn't give the best performance, it should be up to the
application to use the API more efficiently, it should not mean that
the usecase should stop working altogether if somebody polls for 1
mbuf.

Regards
-Prashant