[dpdk-dev] Consider improving the DPDK contribution processes

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Mon May 25 14:53:08 CEST 2020

25/05/2020 13:58, Jerin Jacob:
> 25/05/2020 11:34, Morten Brørup:
> > sending patches over an
> > email as opposed to a well-integrated web interface workflow is so alien
> > to most people that it definitely does discourage new contributions.
> >
> > I understand the advantages of mailing lists (vendor independence,
> > universal compatibility, etc.), but after doing reviews in Github/Gitlab
> > for a while (we use those internally), going through DPDK mailing list
> > and reviewing code over email fills me with existential dread, as the
> > process feels so manual and 19th century to me.
>
> Agree. I had a difference in opinion when I was not using those tools.
> My perspective changed after using Github and Gerrit etc.
>
> Github pull request and integrated public CI(Travis, Shippable ,
> codecov) makes collaboration easy.
> Currently, in patchwork, we can not assign a patch other than the set
> of maintainers.
> I think, it would help the review process if the more fine-grained
> owner will be responsible for specific
> patch set.

The more fine-grain is achieved with Cc in mail.
But I understand not everybody knows/wants/can configure correctly
an email client. Emails are not easy for everybody, I agree.

I use GitHub as well, and I really prefer the clarity of the mail threads.
GitHub reviews tend to be line-focused, messy and not discussion-friendly.
I think contribution quality would be worst if using GitHub.

There is a mailing list discussing workflow tooling:
	https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/