[dpdk-dev] Suggestion to improve the code review

Jerin Kollanukkaran jerinj at marvell.com
Wed May 27 11:28:47 CEST 2020

I think, original discussion[1] on this topic got lost in GitHub vs current workflow.

I would like to propose GitHub "CODEOWNERS"[2] _LIKE_ scheme for DPDK workflow.

Current scheme:
- When we submit a patch to ml, someone(Tree maintainer[3]) needs to manually
delegate the patch to Tree maintainer in patchwork.
- Tree maintainer is not responsible for the review of the patch but only responsible
for merging _after_ the review. That brings the obvious question on review responsibility.

Proposed scheme:
- In order to improve review ownership, IMO, it is better the CI tools delegate
the patch to the actual maintainer(who is responsible for specific code in MAINTAINERS file)
- I believe, it provides a sense of ownership, avoids last-minute surprise on
review responsibility and improve review traceability.

Implementation of the proposed scheme:
GitHub provides a bot for CODEOWNERS integration, Similar alternative is possible with
patchwork with "auto delegation scheme" using the flowing methods:

a) https://patchwork.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage/delegation/
b) https://patchwork.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage/headers/

I think, option (a) would be relatively easy to change without introducing the new tools.

Thoughts?

[1]
http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-May/168740.html
[2]