[dpdk-dev] Techboard Minutes of Meeting - 10/8/2020

Honnappa Nagarahalli Honnappa.Nagarahalli at arm.com
Fri Oct 9 01:37:50 CEST 2020


Members Attending:
---------------------------

     Bruce Richardson
     Ferruh Yigit
     Honnappa Nagarahalli (Chair)
     Jerin Jacob
     Kevin Traynor
     Konstantin Ananyev
     Maxime Coquelin
     Olivier Matz
     Stephen Hemminger
     Thomas Monjalon

The technical board meetings takes place every second Wednesday on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK, at 3pm UTC.
(Trial runs on jitsi, backup on IRC channel #dpdk-board) Meetings are public and DPDK community members are welcome to attend.

Next meeting will be on 2020-10-21, and will be chaired by Jerin.

Minutes:
-----------

#1 ABI and API breaks in 20.11 - Pending requests to Techboard?
    a) stats per queues in common stats
	- Use xstats as the alternative
	- Techboard decided to remove (deprecation notice in 20.11 and removed in 21.11) the queue stats from common stats (array at the end of the structure)
		-  Suggestion to do a POC to ensure there are no other dependencies
		- AI: Ferruh: Communicate to the mailing list and send the deprecation email. Add documentation to indicate that the array size is limited to 256
	- Telemetry needs to be updated using xstats only
	- AI: Thomas: Improve xstats documentation and fix the underscore typo

    b) pmdinfogen rewrite in Python
	- Creates a dependency for build on latest version of Python
	- CI needs to be updated to use the Python package
	- AI: Maxime to check the dependencies for RedHat

    c) minimum meson version
	- Latest version of meson, 0.55, is not packaged with distros
	- AI: Bruce to work with patch owner to check if an older version of meson can be used to implement these new features
	- REL packages 0.49.2 version of meson.

    d) LPM
	- Looks like other projects are using the LPM structure members, not just APIs.
	- AI: Honnappa: will take a closer look.

#2 Asks from Governing Board
    a) Ask from Trishan for Governing board call on 2021 priorities. What Technical board want to achieve in 2021?
        * Inspiration and actionable goals that are on the roadmap
        * API/ABI support plans, new capabilities, CI testing integration, gaps that the Techboard would like address etc...
	- DTS
	- Documentation
	- ABI work to continue - increase the ABI stability for CryptoDev APIs
	- Reduce barriers to adopt DPDK
		- DPDK Interaction with Kernel
		- Make it easier to pass arguments to DPDK initialization
	- Using DPDK in containers

    b) Review of Technical Section of DPDK "Golden Deck".  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xD5R_WN8xMjEFcb6nBarHWNMRI5nrE0g-poKqc0M0HA/edit#slide=id.g9118ec1251_0_0

#3 Do we need a reviewer role in the process?
      Techboard members to discuss this on email.
      AI: Honnappa will initiate an email to Techboard.

#4 Call for reviews - ethdev and testpmd patches need review

#5 Next governing board meeting is the last meeting for Bruce to represent the tech board. It is Ferruh's turn next.

Agenda items not discussed:

#1 Update on DTS usability
    a) UNH has started the document

#2 Security process issues
    a) Ferruh/Stephen: Anything to discuss?

#3 DMARC mitigation in the mailing list

#4 Prepare the CFP text for a virtual Asia event in January 2021


Thank you,
Honnappa


More information about the dev mailing list