[dpdk-dev] setting parameters in meson build system

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Thu Oct 22 15:52:38 CEST 2020

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 04:43:50PM +0500, Sarosh Arif wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was using make build system previously, but since it is removed from
> dpdk now, I am trying to figure out how to enable/disable certain
> things using meson,
>
> Previously we were able to set some parameters using .config file.
> Some examples of these parameters are:
>
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_PMD=y
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_DEBUG_RX=n
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_DEBUG_TX=n
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_DEBUG_TX_FREE=n
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_RX_ALLOW_BULK_ALLOC=y
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_INC_VECTOR=y
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_16BYTE_RX_DESC=n
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_QUEUE_NUM_PER_PF=64
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_QUEUE_NUM_PER_VM=4
>
> Can someone help me figure out how to enable/disable/change these
> using the meson build system?

Enabling/disabling of specific drivers can be done using the
"disable_drivers" meson option to disable drivers, otherwise the drivers
will be enabled automatically if their pre-requisites are met. [In the case
of i40e it has no pre-requisites beyond basic DPDK requirements so it's
always enabled by default].

For the debug settings, there has been discussion onlist about having a
global debug setting which can be scope limited in the same way as the log
level APIs, but in the absense of support for that you can turn on the
DEBUG settings by passing them as cflags (or c_args meson option) to the
build.

For the other settings, these are present in config/rte_config.h header
file and can be edited directly there. However, we'd prefer if this wasn't
necessary, so if you feel the defaults are not suitable for your use,
please let the maintainers know, to see if we can adjust the default to be
suitable for as many users as possible.

Regards,
/Bruce