[dpdk-dev] unable to bind to vfio-pci

Dybkowski, AdamX adamx.dybkowski at intel.com
Thu Sep 17 09:31:56 CEST 2020

Hi.

[Adam] First thing: to check if VT-d is enabled in Linux, you can read MSR 0x3a register. Its lowest bit set will show VT-d works:

(optionally on Ubuntu: apt-get install msr-tools)
modprobe msr
rdmsr 0x3a
3 or 5 -> OK

Other possible way to check for VT-d (IOMMU) working is to view the booting log (dmesg):

dmesg | grep DMAR
"DMAR: IOMMU enabled" -> OK

Both of these should be met in order to use vfio-pci in the next step.

> Along with this I have made sure that the vfio-pci module is correctly loaded.
> I have also tried
>
> chmod 666 /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/bind
>
> So that I have permissions to write in this file.
>
> The error I get when I use usertools/dpdk-devbind.py to bind is this:
> Error: bind failed for 0000:b7:00.1 - Cannot bind to driver vfio-pci
>
> The details of 0000:b7:00.1 are as follows:
> Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GBASE-T 37d2' if=eno6 drv=i40e
>
> I have also unbinded The pci bridge to which 0000:b7:00.1 was connected.
>
> What more can be done to resolve this?
>
> Regards,
> Sarosh Arif

Adam Dybkowski