[dpdk-dev] L3fwd mode in testpmd

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Wed Apr 28 00:23:37 CEST 2021

> > On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:50:20 +0100
> > Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Agree that it may help testing to have l3fwd support on the testpmd.
> > >
> > > Two concerns,
> > > 1) Testpmd already too complex.
> > > 2) Code duplication.
> > >
> > > For 1), if the l3fwd can be implemented in testpmd as new, independent
> > > forwarding mode, without touching rest of the testpmd, I think it can be
> > OK.
> > >
> > > Not sure how to address 2), also lets say we want to add new feature
> > > to l3fwd, where it should go, to the sample or to the testpmd?
> >
> > The original purpose of l3fwd seems to be getting lost here.
> > It was intended as an example, not a complete test or real life application.
> The issue is, this app has become an industry standard for performance comparison between platforms (whether we like it or not).
> But, it
> does not have a whole lot of debugging capabilities.

Ok, could you list what exactly you think is missed?
If we are talking about extra stats, then I still think it is probably easier to add it into l3fwd,
then pull whole l3fwd code into test-pmd.

> I think adding a L3fwd mode to testpmd will be helpful to keep the sample application
> simpler.

Hmm, not sure how these 2 things are linked...
Why let say adding fib-fwd into test-pmd will help to decrease l3fwd code complexity?