[dpdk-dev] Questions about API with no parameter check

Tyler Retzlaff roretzla at linux.microsoft.com
Thu Apr 29 18:16:45 CEST 2021

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 05:10:00PM +0100, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 4/7/2021 4:25 PM, Hemant Agrawal wrote:
> >>+1
> >>But are we going to check all parameters?
> >
> >+1
> >
> >It may be better to limit the number of checks.
> >

> +1 to verify input for APIs.
>
> Why not do all, what is the downside of checking all input for control path APIs?

why not assert them then, what is the purpose of returning an error to a
caller for a api contract violation like a `parameter shall not be NULL`

* assert.h/cassert can be compiled away for those pundits who don't want
  to see extra branches in their code

* when not compiled away it gives you an immediate stack trace or dump to operate
  on immediately identifying the problem instead of having to troll
  through hoaky inconsistently formatted logging.

* it catches callers who don't bother to check for error from return of
  the function (debug builds) instead of some arbitrary failure at some
  unrelated part of the code where the corrupted program state is relied
  upon.

we aren't running in kernel, we can crash.