[dpdk-dev] ABI/API stability towards drivers

Tyler Retzlaff roretzla at linux.microsoft.com
Wed Jul 7 20:46:12 CEST 2021

On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 10:00:11AM +0200, Morten Brørup wrote:
> Regarding the ongoing ABI stability project, it is suggested to export driver interfaces as internal.
>
> What are we targeting regarding ABI and API stability towards drivers?

last discussed the outcome was that there was no promise of api/abi stability
at all for drivers only applications. tech-board may have discussed it
further i don't know.

we (Microsoft) would like to see them evolve to stable abi/api but we
understand the challenges and effort involved. so driver stability is
pretty much the interface consumers problem right now for drivers built
in-tree and out of tree.