[dpdk-dev] Duplicating traffic with RTE Flow

Jan Viktorin viktorin at cesnet.cz
Mon Mar 1 13:21:26 CET 2021

Hello Asaf,

it is a while we were in touch regarding this topic. Finally, I am
again trying to get work this feature. I've seen that sampling is
already upstreamed which is great. However, I am not very successful
with that. There is nearly no documentation, just [1], I found no
examples, just commit logs...

I tried:

 > set sample_actions 0 port_id id 1 / end
 > flow validate 0 ingress pattern end actions sample ratio 1 index 0 / drop / end
 port_flow_complain(): Caught PMD error type 1 (cause unspecified): port id action is valid in transfer mode only: Operation not supported
 > flow validate 0 ingress transfer pattern end actions sample ratio 1 index 0 / drop / end
 port_flow_complain(): Caught PMD error type 1 (cause unspecified): (no stated reason): Operation not supported

Using CentOS 7, DPDK 20.11.0, OFED-5.2-1.0.4.
NICs: MT2892 Family [ConnectX-6 Dx] 101d (fw 22.28.1002), MT27800 Family [ConnectX-5] 1017 (fw 16.27.2008).

My primary goal is to be able to deliver exactly the same packets both
to DPDK and to the Linux kernel. Doing this at RTE Flow level would be
great due to performance and transparency.

Jan

[1] https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/rte_flow.html#action-sample