[dpdk-dev] [RFC v4 1/4] ethdev: add meter PPS profile

Matan Azrad matan at nvidia.com
Tue Mar 2 08:02:26 CET 2021

Hi Cristian

Thank you for review, please see inline.

From: Dumitrescu, Cristian
> > From: dev <dev-bounces at dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Li Zhang
<snip>
> We had this same problem earlier for the rte_tm.h API, where people asked to
> add support for WRED and shaper rates specified in packets to the existing byte
> rate support. I am more than happy to support adding the same here, but
> please let's adopt the same solution here rather than invent a different
> approach.
>
> Please refer to struct rte_tm_wred_params and struct rte_tm_shaper_params
> from rte_tm.h: the packets vs. bytes mode is explicitly specified through the use
> of a flag called packet_mode that is added to the WRED and shaper profile.
> When packet_mode is 0, the profile rates and bucket sizes are specified in
> bytes per second and bytes, respectively; when packet_mode is not 0, the
> profile rates and bucket sizes are specified in packets and packets per second,
> respectively. The same profile parameters are used, no need to invent
> additional algorithms (such as srTCM - packet mode) or profile data structures.
> Can we do the same here, please?

This flag approach is very intuitive suggestion and it has advantages.

The main problem with the flag approach is that it breaks ABI and API.
The profile structure size is changed due to a new field - ABI breakage.
The user must initialize the flag with zero to get old behavior - API breakage.

I don't see issues with Li suggestion, Do you think Li suggestion has critical issues?