[dpdk-dev] DPDK Telemetry library enhancement

Harman Kalra hkalra at marvell.com
Wed May 5 09:49:35 CEST 2021

Hi All,

We have a use case where we need to gather statistics over network. Current implementation of telemetry library is based on Unix socket, we would like to enhance the scope of library to use network sockets. We understand security challenges with network sockets, to overcome them can we can think of two steps:
1. By default library will be using Unix sockets, it will be user decision to run library with network sockets by passing respective eal flags.
2. We can introduce some key/password authentication mechanism to the library, where only authorized clients can get connected to the server. Password can be passed by the user as eal flags, something similar to vf token which is uuid based.
Kindly provide us suggestions/challenges over this enhancements.

One more query, can we register driver specific telemetry commands to collect driver stats? Is this upstream able?

Thanks
Harman