[dpdk-users] DPDK-PKTGEN- Did not find any ports to use

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue Oct 27 15:37:04 CET 2015

Hi All,

What is the system CPU’s you are using I did not find that listed, but I expect it is not the issue here.

The performance with one core should be fine as long as they are two different physical cores on the same socket. Also you need to make sure the PCIe bus is directly connected to the socket you are running Pktgen. In some systems the PCIe bus for the second socket is on a bridge, which can cause some problems in performance. The other issue is pktgen maybe going across the QPI bus between sockets and that is a huge performance hit.

Using the cpu_layout.py tool to verify you are using two different physical cores, then make sure they are on the socket connected to the PCIe bus.

BTW, the ‘-p 0x03’ option is no longer needed for Pktgen, I updated the docs a while back, but it seems to be used :-( this is not a problem for pktgen I just ignore the option.

The next thing is to loop back the cable from one port to the other on the Pktgen machine and make sure you can the performance at wire rate. Then you can debug the other machine.

—
Regards,
++Keith Wiles

Intel Corporation