[dpdk-users] Lcore impact

Hu, Xuekun xuekun.hu at intel.com
Thu Apr 14 22:43:51 CEST 2016

Perf could. Or PCM, that is also a good tool. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-counter-monitor-a-better-way-to-measure-cpu-utilization

From: Александр Киселев [mailto:kiselev99 at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 3:31 AM
To: Hu, Xuekun
Cc: Shawn Lewis; users at dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Lcore impact

Are the two lcore belonging to one processor, or two processors? What the memory footprint is for the system call threads? If the memory footprint is big (>LLC cache size) and two locre are in the same processor, then it could have impact on packet processing thread.

Those two lcores belong to one processor and it's a single processor machine.

Both cores allocates a lot of memory and use the full dpdk arsenal: lpm, mempools, hashes and etc. But during the test the core doing socket data transfering is using only small 16k buffer for sending and sending is the all it does during the test. It doesn't use any other allocated memory structures. The processing core in turn is using rte_lpm whitch is big, but in my test there are only about 10 routes in it, so I think the amount "hot" memory is not very big. But I can't say if it's bigger than l3 cpu cache or not. Should I use some profilers and see if socket operations cause a lot of cache miss in the processing lcore? It there some tool that allows me to do that? perf maybe?