[dpdk-users] mbuf free cnt not decreasing

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Mon Apr 18 16:37:45 CEST 2016

>Hi Javier,
>Please make sure you check the return value of rte_kni_tx_burst() and
>rte_eth_tx_burst() and free the unsent mbufs. Might be something
>else...
>
>Overall the technique should be the same as with memory leaks: debug
>logs and patience ;)

The rte_eth_tx_burst() and other APIs will not handle the case where the ring below fills up. This means if you send 32 packets it may only send part of the packets in the and if you do not check the return value you could be losing the packets here. You need to handle the case were the number of TX sent are not send because of rings filling up or some other reason.

>Regards,
>Andriy
>
>On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Javier Coleto Fernández
><javicoleto44 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Andriy,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer.
>> I've tried what you said and determined it's an mbuf leak, because the
>> number of free mbufs doesn't stabilize, even when I increase the number of
>> mbufs in the mempool.
>> Is there any way to easily debug this mbuf leak? I didn't make the full
>> code, so I don't really know where to start looking for leaks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Javier
>

>--
>Andriy Berestovskyy