[dpdk-users] Questions about IP-PIPELINE

Wu, Xiaoban Xiaoban_Wu at student.uml.edu
Tue Apr 26 17:20:50 CEST 2016

Dear DPDK,

I am a beginner of DPDK, recently I want to work on IP-PIPELINE. I am reading the source codes by myself, but I think it could be more efficient if the following questions can be answered.

Question 1: The ip_pipeline.cfg is parsed at runtime, what is the data type or structure that stores these information?

Question 2: Suppose the configuration file has been parsed and stored, where and how these information will start to have effect, like in which functions, could you please list some of these functions?

Question 3: If multiple threads (cores) are running at the same time, can these threads send or receive packets at the same time? If so, are the packets stored separately in each own TX or RX queue, or merged into a single data structure? Where are these data structures defined and used, can you please list some functions that explicitly involve these data structures? And moreover, which functions are used to send or receive the packets?

Some other unrelated questions, but they could help me see the picture

Question 4: What is igb-uio driver? What is the purpose of binding the NIC with igb-uio driver?

Question 5: Does the "hugepage" uses physical memory or physical disk space?

Question 6: In the codes, there are both physical address and virtual address in the struct rte_mbuf, struct rte_memzone, struct rte_memseg. If virtual address is the memory address like a pointer, what is physical address and what is the usefulness of physical address?

Thanks so much for your reply and help.

All the best,

Xiaoban