[dpdk-users] Running DPDK in a VM

Vaibhav Sood vaibhav_sood at persistent.com
Thu Aug 4 12:22:04 CEST 2016

Hi!

I am looking at running DPDK in a VM, I would like to know if there are any limitations when doing this in terms of any DPDK features that do not work in a VM

The only post I came across for running DPDK in a VM is this: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2013-September/000441.html

As an example, I tried to run the DPDK test suite (DTS, http://dpdk.org/doc/dts/gsg/ ) and see some tests fail saying virtio nics are not supported (Specifically, the ethertype_filter and five_tuple_filter tests give an error: FAILED ''virtio nic not support syn filter''). I would like to know if there are any limitations along these lines when running DPDK in VMs as compared to physical machines/NICS

Thanks!
Vaibhav

DISCLAIMER