[dpdk-users] Output to /dev/console provokes packet loss?

Ole Bjørn Hessen obh at telenor.net
Fri Feb 12 13:32:07 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm running a DPDK application on HP ProLiant DL360 Gen9, BIOS P89 and
CentoS 7.2.1511 with a 10Gb 2-port 560SFP+ Adapter/ixgbe.

A periodically packet loss (increasing stats.imissed) was traced back
to log messages to /dev/console. A simple loop like this provoked the
packet loss:

   while :; do echo "foo bar" > /dev/console; done

I saw the same ting when running stock kernel and running standard
iperf so my guess is a problem with the BIOS / motherboard / ILO and
not DPDK. Does anybody have any other hypothesis?

Regards,

Ole Bjørn Hessen.
Telenor.